The Athol-Royalston Regional School District in partnership with the community provides a safe, innovative, and vibrant learning environment for all students. We foster academic excellence byimplementing best practices, improving facilities, appreciating diversity, and requiring accountability. Our graduates are life-long learners and discerning users of technology who exercise social and civic responsibility and adapt to an ever-changing world.
The Athol-Royalston Regional School District is committed to providing challenging educational experienced that inspires students to acquire the knowledge and skills to become responsible citizens in the global community.
- In establishing high standards and challenging expectations for all students.
- Every member of the school-community deserves to be treated with respect and courtesy
- All decisions are made in the best interest of the student
- Education is a shared responsibility among home, school, and community
- All students are entitled to excellent facilities, technology, materials, and instruction
- All students should learn in a safe, secure, and healthy environment that respects diversity
- A quality educational system is the foundation of a strong community
- In providing an opportunity for all students to achieve their full potential and to become lifelong learners
- In school-site and district management; adhering to federal, state, and local laws, regulations, policies, and guidelines
- Partnerships with local businesses and community organizations are critical to accomplishing our district’s mission
- In fostering the physical, intellectual, social, emotional, and artistic development of our students
- Professional development is essential for effective instruction, active learning, and improved student performance
DISTRICT CLIMATE, CULTURE, AND COMMUNICATION
To foster an atmosphere of mutual respect and cooperation.
- Promote a culture where students are consistently the focus of the Athol-Royalston School Department
- Create a non-threatening, inclusive climate where ideas can be exchanged and debated.
- Establish forums and other strategies to explain and promote implementation and progress of the strategic plan.
- Promote networking to increase voter participation to support the mission of the district
- Develop and implement an aggressive public relations plan
- Foster open and honest communication among the administration, school committee, and the leaders of the local teachers’ association to further our district’s strategic plan.
TEACHING AND LEARNING
To improve academic achievement by engaging all students through best practices and challenging programs that will meet their individual needs.
- Develop, implement, and maintain for all subject areas, curricula that are in alignment with the MA Curriculum Frameworks and state and federal regulations
- Ensure that time and resources are available for high quality professional development that reflects the needs of staff and the district
- Provide remedial and supplemental services, as well as alternative programs for at-risk
- Use student data to drive decision-making in the areas of curriculum, instruction, and staff assessments
- Provide opportunities for students with exceptional abilities, talents, and interests.
- Integrate technology to enhance instruction at all grade levels
- Strive to reduce class size levels to those supported by current research
FINANCE AND DISTRICT OPERATIONS
To obtain equitable, predictable, and sustainable funding for all educational programs, services, facilities, and other district operations.
- Continuously inform local, state, and federal officials of the need for sufficient and predictable financial support based on the identified needs of the district
- Increase opportunities for community leaders and the community-at-large to participate in the budget process
- Acquire the funding to attract, develop, and retain staff to increase student programming
- Revise and implement the technology plan to increase staff and student access as well as utilization of appropriate technology.
- Provide the necessary resources to support student achievement
- Secure adequate funding to comply with federal, state, and regional mandates
To provide appropriate school facilities
- Revise the master facilities’ plan
- Present and have accepted statements of interest and other required School Building
- Authority application materials
- Secure the necessary votes to support the recommended option(s) for the renovation, expansion, or construction of school facilities Begin work on approved projects as soon as financially possible
To promote and enhance mutually beneficial relationships and partnerships with individuals and groups in the community.
- Establish a district-wide committee to effectively communicate our schools’ successes and challenges
- Provide more opportunities for members of the community to participate in the life of our schools
- Identify, develop, and foster diverse opportunities for students to engage in active learning with businesses and the community Increase parental involvement in the schools
- Develop in our students an awareness of their responsibilities to participate in their community
- Expand the use of school facilities and related resources for the benefit of the wider community